In honor of National #KidsTakeOverTheKitchenDay we are celebrating with the perfect recipe for kids to safely make in the kitchen without any risks! Although we do recommend the use of an apron to protect their cute little clothes from getting all stained with the different ingredients! At DapperDazzle, we believe in giving kids as many tools and skills as possible, and getting familiarized with the ins and outs of the kitchen from a young age can be super helpful in their future independence! After all, we don't really want them to eat only cup-of-noodles and mac-and-cheese when they go to college, right?
This is a recipe for "apple and worm" Cupcakes made from scratch, and even though it is pretty simple, we always recommend the supervision of a grown up! (We will need to use the oven, so we have to make sure the kids know what they are doing, or get whatever help they need!)
For this recipe we will need:
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup caster sugar
- 1 Cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Storebought buttercream icing
- Red food coloring
- Thin pretzels
- Gummy Worms
Now follow these easy steps!
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar until the mix is pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl.
- On a separate bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla and then pour on the mix. Beat until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake gor 20 minutes until risen, golden, and firm to the touch. Cool.
- Prepare buttercream icing by adding a few drops of food coloring at a time until you have a red apple color. Spread on cupcakes.
- Push a piece of broken thin pretzel into the cupcake to resemble an apple stalk. Push one end of a gummy worm into the icing so it looks like its emerging from the apple.
- ENJOY WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY!
Oh, and you can also match your accessories to your cooking with our Yomi Yomis Cupcake Dangle Earrings